How to Maintain Porcelain Veneers?
The maintenance of a veneer is not that difficult but there are some facts and tips to follow by which you can better protect the veneer and enjoy your sparkling teeth forever.
- Don’t worry about the oral hygiene and do flossing and brushing properly as you do on normal days, but it is better to use any non-abrasive toothpaste for doing so. Normal flossing and brushing would have no impact on the laminate and aesthetical beauty of your teeth but a good care would ensure that your laminate last sparkling for years.
- You’ll feel the sensitivity to hot or cold things at beginning depending on the enamel reduction and proximity of the nerve to the upper layer and many other things but it will disappear by itself. In case you feel that it is not going to disappear you must make an appointment with the Los Angeles dental veneer dentist to discuss the issue.
- Normal food items would not affect the laminate but you should be cautious in biting on hard food material otherwise it could be affected.
- Avoid from fighting, drive carefully to avoid any accident and be careful during sports activities.
Sometimes due to the negligence or due to indocile incidents the laminate veneer is broken, chipped or fractured, but depending on the level of fracture it can be re-bonded depending on the kind of emergency. Mostly the porcelain veneer emergencies would be of two kinds i.e. fracture and debonding.
Fracture: when you have broken, chipped or cracked the laminate
De-bonding: When the laminate veneer has come off, usually intact
Depending on the kind of emergency it can be rectified, but it is better you visit the dentist as soon as possible otherwise, the situation could be exacerbated further if you are not aware of what has happened and what to do the very next moment.
In cases when your enamel has not been reduced to a higher level there would not be any threatening issue if it takes the time to make an appointment, but if the teeth have trimmed to a larger extent it could be problematic and you should make an appointment with the dentist immediately. In the meantime, you might feel sensitivity to things and temperature and find it irritating to your lip and the tongue, so you can go for these temporary solutions.
If you feel irritated by the sensitivity or roughness of the teeth due to a broken veneer, you can place a protective layer of wax on the tooth (you would find the dental wax in most of the drugstores). Mostly white dental wax is better to use.
Is broken veneer repairable?
A Broken veneer can be repaired but depending on the severity of the damage occurred to the veneer and depending on the intensity of damage our dentist would suggest you different solutions. Normally it has been observed that people are encountered with two kinds of problems and you must bear that in mind before going to any veneer repair.
- Your laminate is obviously made of porcelain but the repair wouldn’t be of porcelain, rather it would be made of plastic. So, in beginning it would perfectly match your teeth and there would be no distinction between the repaired one and the others. But with the passage of time, there would be chances that the distinction would be observed due to deteriorating bonding between the porcelain and the plastic part.
- In some cases, it might be troublesome when the repaired patch and the veneer find it difficult to work mutually due to the biting force which would exert a substantial force on the tooth putting the bond between the two in trouble.
Once you have gone through the treatment, it is likely that our dentist may ask you to return to the office for an appointment and this appointment will be important because the dentist will evaluate the treatment. You’ll be inquired about any issue and depending on the evaluation report there could be further steps to take. While coming to the office you can make your mind and list down the issues, if any, and explain those before the dentist.
Larchmont Dental Associates – 581 N. Larchmont Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90004 (323) 465-2127